- 3.1 Structure – Property – Processing – Performance Relationships
- 3.2 The Structure of Atoms
- 3.3 Atomic Bonding
- 3.4 Secondary Bonds
- 3.5 Atom Arrangements in Materials
- 3.6 Crystal Structures of Metals
- 3.7 Development of a Grain Structure
What are metals?
Simple Atomic Model
Review of the Periodic table of the elements
Crystalline Structure of Metals
Face-Centered Cubic (FCC)
Body-Centered Cubic (BCC)
Hexagonal Close-Packed (HCP)
Mechanical, Physical and Chemical Properties of Metals
Most metals and oxides are alkaline (bases)
BBC News. “World’s ‘lightest material’ unveiled by US engineers” 18 November 2011 <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15788735>.
A team of engineers claims to have created the world’s lightest material. The substance is made out of tiny hollow metallic tubes arranged into a micro-lattice – a criss-crossing diagonal pattern with small open spaces between the tubes.