- Read and understand the SDS sheets listed below.
- Note: Latex gloves may be used in this lab.
- Please let me know if you have a sensitivity or allergy to any of the materials used in this lab.
- Read the background information on the patent that is the basis of our anodizing solution. See link below.
- Eye protection as indicated on Sodium Hydroxide SDS
- Nitrile or Latex gloves
Cleaning Solution Preparation
- Pour 250ml of tap water into the degreaser container.
- Add 250ml of Simple green.
- Mix thoroughly
Anodizing Electrolyte Solution Preparation (Adapted from US Patent 338805)
- 1 Liter tapwater
- 214.5 grams Roebic Crystal Drain Opener (100% sodium hydroxide)
- 18.7 grams Red Devil TSP/90 (100% disodium trioxosilicate)
- Note: Patent adds titanium dioxide & carbon black. We will omit these for the lab.
- Run the specimen under hot tap water to pre-clean and warm it.
- Clean and degrease the workpiece using the Simple Green solution.
- Do not touch the prepared surface of the sample with your hands from this point forward.
- Mount the sample in the lathe and us use 180 grit emery cloth to give the surface a clean, consistent surface finish of approximately .
- WARNING: Follow all safety guidelines. There is a REAL risk of bodily injury.
- WARNING: Do not wear gloves for this step.
- Pyrex beaker
- Electrolyte solution
- DC Power Supply
- Work and Ground Leads
Your goal is to produce a specimen that is the same color as the one shown above. Before you begin, you will create a reference specimen to assist you in determining the correct voltage at which to process your specimen.