Feeler Gauge (Gage)


Feeler gauge set. Notice how it has both metric and imperial measurements recorded on each blade

A feeler gauge is a tool used to measure gap widths. Feeler gauges are mostly used in engineering to measure the clearance between two parts.[1]

They consist of a number of small lengths of steel of different thicknesses with measurements marked on each piece. They are flexible enough that, even if they are all on the same hinge, several can be stacked together to gauge intermediate values. It is common to have two sets for imperial units (typically measured in thousandths of an inch) and metric (typically measured in hundredths of a millimetre) measurements.

A similar device with wires of specific diameter instead of flat blades is used to set the gap in spark plugs to the correct size; this is done by increasing or decreasing the gap until the gauge of the correct size just fits inside the gap.[2]

The lengths of steel are sometimes called blades, although they have no sharp edge.


Types of feeler gauges

Taper feeler gauge

tapered (upper) and parallel (lower) feeler gauges

A taper feeler gauge is a feeler gauge of tapered, as opposed to parallel, shape. The blade of the gauge is of a constant thickness, and the two types of gauge are used in a similar way.

See also


  1. ^ Webster, Jay (2000). “3”. Outdoor Power Equipment (Illustrated ed.). Cengage Learning. p. 40. ISBN 978-0-7668-1391-5. 
  2. ^ Vidler, Douglas; Knowles, Don (2003). Today’s Technician: Automotive Engine Performance (3, illustrated ed.). Cengage Learning. p. 36. ISBN 978-0-7668-4864-1. 



This information originally retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeler_gauge
on Monday 1st August 2011 5:05 pm EDT
Now edited and maintained by ManufacturingET.org


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top